The Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer adopted
The Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer was adopted. The convention outlines states' responsibilities for protecting human health and the environment against the adverse effects of ozone depletion. It established the framework under which the Montreal Protocol was negotiated.
It has been ratified by over 190 states.
Read about the Convention
Credit: UN Photo/Yutaka Nagata
Hussein Manikfan, Permanent Representative of the Maldives to the UN, signs the Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer in July 1988. Looking on is Max Lewy, Chief of United Nations Treaty Section.
Live from Copenhagen
- CoolPlanet2009 team visit COP15
- Melting ice sculptures symbolizing climate change
- Save Copenhagen: Real Deal Now!
- Earth hour today! Don’t forget!
- Exclusive meeting with Al Gore
- Magnus the Lucia bride from Commute Greener
- Earth is calling – Enjoy a COP15 meal
- Tutu demanding climate aid to developing countries
- ”What do we want? Climate justice!”
- Sunday 13: Desmond Tutu at the City Hall Square