Politicians have not yet put the relevant policies in place
Wednesday, 11 February 2009 15:06
-- A message to Cool Planet readers from Yvo de Boer, Executive Secretary of the UNFCCC
The Secretary-General of the United Nations has termed this year the year of climate change. The reason is obvious: Copenhagen, December 2009.
The UN Climate Change Conference in Denmark this year will be the moment in history in which humanity has the opportunity to rise to the challenge and decisively deal with climate change. It is beyond the shadow of doubt that greenhouse gas emissions have to be radically reduced to keep climate change from sliding into climate chaos. Once that happens, there will be no place left to hide for anybody.
The launch of this web site comes at a time when the world is fully aware of the urgency of the situation, but politicians have not yet put the relevant policies in place that are needed for a concerted global response. So great is the climate challenge, that people want to contribute to solutions despite the momentary policy void.
This site presents ideas on how to do just that.
Everyone can make a difference – Cool message from Connie Hedegaard
It is our responsibility –
Cool message from Margot Wallström
Politicians have not yet put the relevant policies in place - Cool message from Yvo de Boer
Live from Copenhagen
- CoolPlanet2009 team visit COP15
- Melting ice sculptures symbolizing climate change
- Save Copenhagen: Real Deal Now!
- Earth hour today! Don’t forget!
- Exclusive meeting with Al Gore
- Magnus the Lucia bride from Commute Greener
- Earth is calling – Enjoy a COP15 meal
- Tutu demanding climate aid to developing countries
- ”What do we want? Climate justice!”
- Sunday 13: Desmond Tutu at the City Hall Square